The clinical objective in PN is to relieve intense itch and heal nodular lesions, which may improve patients’ QoL2-4
A multimodal treatment approach is recommended for PN by a US consensus panel2,
Treatment is selected based on a patient’s clinical presentation, comorbidities, and response to prior treatments and should address both neural and immunologic components of disease, which often requires use of multiple therapeutic agents2,5
Mainly topical therapies
Widespread skin-directed or systemic therapies
There remains an unmet need in the management of PN1
- Qureshi AA, Abate LE, Yosipovitch G, Friedman AJ. A systematic review of evidence-based treatments for prurigo nodularis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019;80(3):756-764.
- Elmariah S, Kim B, Berger T, et al. Practical approaches for diagnosis and management of prurigo nodularis: United States expert panel consensus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021;84(3):747-760.
- Kowalski EH, Kneiber D, Valdebran M, Patel U, Amber KT. Treatment-resistant prurigo nodularis: challenges and solutions. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2019;12:163-172.
- Ständer HF, Elmariah S, Zeidler C, Spellman M, Ständer S. Diagnostic and treatment algorithm for chronic nodular prurigo. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;82(2):460-468.
- Williams KA, Huang AH, Belzberg M, Kwatra SG. Prurigo nodularis: pathogenesis and management. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020;83(6):1567-1575.