How to Improve Patient Care and Outcome Through Patient Education
- Patient education creates health awareness and reduces the global burden of diseases1
- Patient Education is widespread and largely emphasized communication strategies to spread awareness1
- It is essential in improving patients’ ability to manage their health and quality of life1
- Effective education promotes a healthy lifestyle and stresses the importance of health1
Aims of Patient Education1
- Maintain and promote health
- Prevent illness and health complications
- Restore health and promote recovery from diseases
- Cope with impaired functions
The patient education strategies work towards1,3
- Boosting patient’s confidence and ability towards self-health management
- Encouraging healthy living and improving the overall quality of life
Benefits of Patient Education1,2,3
The Four Vital Components of Patient Education Process4
Strategies for Patient Education
- A highly responsible task for healthcare professionals
- Makes the patients conscientious of their health status
- Enhances comprehension of the disease to enable patients to play a proactive role in self-care
Tips for HCPs to Improve Patient Education1,3
- Patient education influences patient behavior and induces behavioral changes by imparting knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to maintain or improve health.
- Patient education is crucial to allow people to understand their health and treatment better.
- It empowers patients toward effective and informed decision-making.
- Encourage patients to self-management, prevent re-occurrence and avoid repeated hospital visits.
- Paterick TE, Patel N, Tajik AJ, Chandrasekaran K. Improving health outcomes through patient education and partnerships with patients. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2017 Jan;30(1):112-113. doi: 10.1080/08998280.2017.11929552. PMID: 28152110; PMCID: PMC5242136.
- Choosing effective patient education materials; MedlinePlus: National Library of Medicine (US); Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/.
- Gayle Morris; 10 Ways Nurses and Nurse Leaders Can Improve Patient Education; Nurse journal; 2022 Aug.
- Patient Education Practice Guidelines for Health Care Professionals; health care education association.